National Science Week in WA program
The event guide is just a highlight reel of the hundreds of events that will be happening across the month of August for National Science Week in WA.
These events will attract a wide audience from children to adults, and science amateurs to professionals from Broome to Albany. There are citizen science projects, talks, hands-on activities, demonstrations, scientists to meet and more.
The program will be available at the Perth Science Festival and other key events or you can download and print your own.
Download (8.45 MB, PDF).
“The Little CEO”, Taj Pabari, to make waves in WA & NT
Ever wanted to build your own tablet? According to Taj, an 8 year old can do it in about 15 minutes! From suspended schoolboy to 17 year old inventor, social entrepreneur and educational pioneer – Taj Pabari is proof that any of us is capable of changing the world.
Taj is the founder of a social enterprise called, Fiftysix Creations, a build-it-yourself tablet and creativity kit for kids. He has developed a series of school workshops to help ignite the creative spark in all students, regardless of age, demographic or knowledge base.
We are super excited to announce that Taj Pabari will be joining us for National Science Week in Perth!
Look for Taj at:
- Perth Science Festival @ the Perth Cultural Centre (Sat 12 August)
- Fiftysix Opportunities Workshop @ FLUX, Perth CBD (Sun 13 August)
- Secondary School Future Earth Festival @ Scitech (Mon 14 August)
- Creating Future Innovators – evening presentation @ FLUX, Perth CBD (Tues 15 August)
Come to see how young people learn to create the world we live in, rather than just consume it! Find info on his events online.
Thank you to WesCEF for partnering with us to make Taj’s visit to WA possible!
Call for volunteers
Perth Science Festival kicks off National Science Week in WA, with interactive experiments, explosive science shows, an array of stalls, animals and more… and we need your help!
We need you to #IlluminatetheState
The Western Australia Coordinating Committee for National Science Week (WACC) have a bold plan to light up Western Australia in hues of orange and yellow for National Science Week and are looking for municipalities and institutions across WA to participate.
We will officially launch National Science Week in WA for 2017 on the 10 August at the Harry Perkins Institute in Perth, ahead of National Science Week which officially runs from the 12 – 20 August.
We are looking for your support in helping to light up local monuments, infrastructure and buildings from the 10- 20 August to help promote awareness of the hundreds of National Science Week events that will be happening across the state. These light ups will coincide with regional and metro radio campaigns which will connect the light up efforts to state-wide marketing of National Science Week events across WA.
Download our letter (670 kB, PDF) and get your institution/building and local monuments lit up this #natsciwk and illuminate WA!
What we are asking of you
- To light up your building or infrastructure to reflect the National Science Week light bulb icon – this can be lighting up in hues of orange and yellow;
- And/or, allow us to use guerrilla marketing to project the National Science Week lightbulb and hashtag onto your building (see lightbulb logo);
- Use the social media hashtags #natsciwk and #illuminatethestate to share your contributions across the country by posting pictures on social media.
What we need from you
To participate in this year’s light up efforts please email the following details to Carmen Smith:
- your name;
- name of your institution;
- details on the light up infrastructure you wish to include; and
- links to your social media accounts.
Your social media accounts will be tagged on the national and state-based National Science Week accounts in the lead up to, and across National Science Week.