Tasmania: What do you do if you have to change or cancel your event?Tasmania
If you’re holding a National Science Week event, it can be a big undertaking. We realise plans change and things happen which might mean alteration or even cancellation of your event.
What should you do if this happens? We put together this short guide to help you out.
- You realise you have to change or cancel your event. Why? Come up with a sincere reason to communicate to the public and be as honest as you can in your communications.
- Stop taking bookings – paid or unpaid – as soon as possible.
- Notify your venue, catering, or anyone else involved. Consider anything else you have to cancel. Notify your presenters and issue an apology if necessary.
- Notify us! We can help you publicise the change or cancellation. Email email@example.com
- Put a list together of where you have posted the event and ensure you update the listings to indicate the change to your event. Likely places are Facebook, EventBrite, TryBooking, or right here on the National Science Week website.
- Contact your attendees! It could be people on your Facebook invite list, an informal list in your email, or a formalised list of ticket holders. Make sure you contact them to let them know you have cancelled your event.
- Post the update or cancellation on social media and if you can, do a paid promotion so everyone sees the notice.
- Put a notice on your website and/or the newspaper if necessary.
- Ensure you put up signage at the venue. Despite all your efforts to notify everyone, some will slip through the cracks. If you can’t make it to put up signage, please see if someone at the venue can assist.
- Issue refunds in a timely manner if necessary.
- Review. How did it all go? Is there anything you need to follow up?
Don’t be too worried if you have to alter or cancel an event. People will understand so long as you do your best to keep everyone informed. We are grateful for each and every person taking on a National Science Week event and hope that if you do cancel, you will consider trying again next year.