2015 schools theme and resources
The schools theme for National Science Week 2015 is Making waves – the science of light, based on the International Year of Light.
Science resource eBook and poster
The Making waves: the science of light resource online eBook is now available.
The book was prepared by the Australian Science Teachers Association (ASTA) teacher and contains an abbreviated curriculum map of the Australian Curriculum: Science covering years F-10. This has then been used to develop a curriculum map of light topics addressing most content descriptions from the Science Understanding and Science as a Human Endeavour sub-strands.
A topic from each year has been chosen and a full lesson plan has been developed around that topic.
The National Science Week theme poster for 2015 has been sent to all schools and is also available to download (PDF, 3.3 MB).
2015 school grants
Congratulations to the 263 schools that have been successful in receiving grants of up to $500 to help them conduct a range and variety of science activities during National Science Week. More infomation.
There are a variety of ways you can get your students, class, year level, school and community involved in National Science Week.
Your participation can be as simple as a display in the school library, or as complex as a whole-school science fair. A National Science Week event should:
- be fun for the participants
- be focused on quality science outcomes
- be supportive of your science curriculum
- encourage the participants to want to try more science
- raise the general profile of science within the community
On this page you'll find ideas for help with event ideas and running a school event.Once you've organised your event, ensure that you register it in our event diary. Need more help? Contact your local representative from the Australian Science Teachers Association.
HELPFUL TEMPLATESThese documents will assist you in organising, promoting and running your National Science Week event. Note that you may need PDF reader, word processing or spreadsheet software to use them.
- A3 event poster (253 kB docx)
- A4 event poster (253 kB docx)
- Certificate of appreciation (2.73 MB PDF)
- Community notice listing (176 kB docx) and sample community listing (175 kB docx)
- E-mail event invitation template (78 kB docx)
- Event budget (102 kB xls)
- Event invitation card (326 kB docx)
- Event running sheet (182 kB docx)
- General Word template (179 kB docx)
- Generating publicity (202 kB PDF)
- Media alert (180 kB docx) and sample media alert (180 kB docx)
- Media release (179 kB docx) and sample media release (180 kB docx)
- Running an event (220 kB PDF)