2015 schools theme
The schools theme for National Science Week 2015 will be Making waves – the science of light, based on the International Year of Light.
2014 schools theme
The schools theme for National Science Week 2014 was Food for our future: Science feeding the world. The theme was inspired by the International Year for Family Farming and covered topics like food security, agricultural sustainability and innovation. The resource book supports teachers with lesson plans based on the theme.
There were 252 schools who received a grant for their National Science Week activity in 2014. See the ASTA website for more details.
There are a variety of ways you can get your students, class, year level, school and community involved in National Science Week.
Your participation can be as simple as a display in the school library, or as complex as a whole-school science fair. A National Science Week event should:
- be fun for the participants
- be focused on quality science outcomes
- be supportive of your science curriculum
- encourage the participants to want to try more science
- raise the general profile of science within the community
On this page you'll find ideas for help with event ideas and running a school event.Once you've organised your event, ensure that you register it in our event diary. Need more help? Contact your local representative from the Australian Science Teachers Association.
HELPFUL TEMPLATESThese documents will assist you in organising, promoting and running your National Science Week event. Note that you may need PDF reader, word processing or spreadsheet software to use them.
- A3 event poster (253 kB docx)
- A4 event poster (253 kB docx)
- Certificate of Appreciation (2.65 MB PDF)
- Community noticeboard listing (176 kB docx) and sample community noticeboard listing (177 kB docx)
- E-mail event invitation template (78 kB docx)
- Event budget (102 kB xls)
- Event invitation card (326 kB docx)
- Event running sheet (182 kB docx)
- General Word document (178 kB docx)
- Generating publicity (201 kB PDF)
- Media alert (178 kB docx) and sample media alert (180 kB docx)
- Media release (180 kB docx) and sample media release (180 kB docx)
- Running an event (220 kB PDF)
- Event evaluation survey (143 kB PDF) and instructions (60kB PDF)