Soapbox Science Sydney
Soapbox Science Sydney is a free, interactive, public event showcasing female researchers in Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths and Medicine. Picture an iconic backdrop and 12 enthusiastic researchers on soapboxes discussing their research with anyone and everyone who happens to walk past.
|When:||Saturday, August 10 2019. 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM|
Download event for your calendar
|Where:||Circular Quay Western Promenade|
Outside Museum of Contemporary Art, The Rocks, NSW, 2000
|Topic:||Archaeology and antiquity, Human body and movement, Energy and transport, Environment and nature, Health and medical, Space and astronomy, Innovation and technology|
Soapbox Science Sydney (SSS) wants to ensure that everyone can enjoy, learn from, heckle, question, probe, interact with and be inspired by some of Australia’s leading researchers. No middle man, no PowerPoint, no amphitheatre, just remarkable women doing research who are there to amaze you with their latest discoveries, and to answer the questions you have been burning to ask. Or simply talk about what fascinates them and why they have the most fantastic job in the world! SSS engages all facets of society in STEMM, especially those who wouldn’t otherwise come across science in their daily lives. SSS also promotes public dialogue around important scientific issues, promotes Women in STEMM and inspires younger generations to engage with STEMM subjects as possible career options.
The exciting talks include:
- The gut microbiome: Ask not what you can do for your microbes but what they can do for YOU
- Crimes, Critters & Clues
- Designing superior killers of cancers
- Where do precious metals come from? The story of how magmas and volcanoes can make a gold mine… and more!
- Machine Learning and Quantum Control Using our engineering past to navigate a quantum future
- Dynamics of running dogs.
- Is diversity important? What we can learn from plant breeding.
- Can Super Corals really be Super Heroes for the Great Barrier Reef?
- Physical activity- the elixir of health and wellbeing
- What can worms teach us about the brain?
- Optics in life: internet and other things…
- Is the pursuit of happiness shortsighted?
This event is run in partnership with Soapbox Science. The events main sponsors are: The Faculty of Science & Women in Engineering and IT at The University of Technology Sydney, and three Australian Research Council Centres of Excellence: EQUS, ACEMS and FLEET.
Laura McCaugheyEmail: firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: N/A