MAAS Indigenous Sciences Symposium
The MAAS Indigenous Sciences Symposium is dedicated to honouring the next generation of Indigenous scientists and those who are supporting their development. Standing on the shoulders of our Ancestors we celebrate 60 000 years of technological advancement and eco-sustainable practices.
|When:||Saturday, August 18 2018 till Sunday, August 19 2018. 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM|
Download event for your calendar
500 Harris Street, Ultimo, NSW, 2007
|Topic:||Archaeology and antiquity, Human body and movement, Environment and nature, Health and medical, Space and astronomy, Innovation and technology|
|Cost:||Adult - $160; Concession - $120; Member - $140|
|Bookings:||02 9217 0222|
The MAAS Indigenous Sciences Symposium is dedicated to honouring the next generation of Indigenous scientists and those who are supporting their development. Standing on the shoulders of our Ancestors we celebrate 60 000 years of technological advancement and eco-sustainable practices. A key focus for the gathering will revolve around identifying strategies and actions to support our emerging STEAM Leader’s on-going research and development.
This gathering brings together Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander academics, theorists, researchers, designers, engineers, educators and students from across the community. It provides an important opportunity to shape future research and investigations that are focused on exploring and sharing the sophistication, richness and leadership of Australia’s First Peoples within the scientific domain.
Presenters include recipients of the CSIRO Indigenous STEM and IDX awards for their exceptional contribution to the advancement of Indigenous sciences and technology – locally, nationally and globally.
The program will feature a range of Yarns (key-note presentations), Yarn-ups (panel discussions) and Yarning Spaces – a series of open-floor responsive and focused discussion sessions throughout.
A final Yarning Circle (plenary session) will work to establish a series of recommendations around actions to advance partnerships, information sharing, research and development – supporting the on-going developments of Indigenous women in this space.
- Saturday 17 August, 10am–5pm. Registrations, Welcome and Yarns3 and Yarn-ups 1-3.
- Sunday 18 August, 10am–5pm. Keynote 4, Keynote 5, Keynote 6, Yarn-ups 4-6 and plenary to develop recommendations for action (protocols, partnerships, research and development).
- Venue – The Board Room, Level 5, Powerhouse Museum, 500 Harris Street, Ultimo
- Registration Booking essential via the MAAS website
- Delegate Registration: $160.00/MAAS Member $140.00/Concession: $120.00 – a limited number of subsidies are available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members – please contact email@example.com for details
- Registration includes morning/afternoon teas. Lunch not included – please email
- Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Celeste CarnegieMuseum of Applied Arts and SciencesEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 02 9217 0184